Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Anne Marie's Birthday

What a miracle, childbirth is...
I hoped it were true, what people say about the second-time around.
It definitely was.

We checked in at 5:30 Tuesday morning. We found out when we got there that Cathy Thompson, the wonderful nurse that delivered Alan was working that day. We requested her and she was nothing short of spectacular this time around as well. She was incredibly calm and confident. I think that kept me calm as well. Got Pitocin quickly. The intensity and frequency of my contractions picked up with just a small dose into my IV.
This is where the fun started. My little Anne Marie was ready to meet us!
At first checking, I was still only 4cm dilated. Second checking: 6cm dilated and epidural requested. I still wasn’t experiencing any pain and did not want to start! Third checking: 8cm dilated. I started pushing soon thereafter.

Quick doesn’t seem to even begin to describe this experience. Lightening fast is more like it. So fast that my doctor barely caught sweet Anne Marie. She was wiggling her way out as my doctor ran down the hall and into my room! She didn't even have time to put on her gloves. She instinctually grabbed a sterile cloth from the surgery table and used it to cover her hands and scrubs.
She weighed in at 7 lb 8 oz and 20.5 inches long. (same height as big brother)
This experience is completely different than with Alan. I was more alert and aware of the process. I was sitting upright and was responsible for grabbing my own legs when I pushed. My sweet husband helped with my left leg (more numb) in the very beginning. He was right there with me through the whole process. I had comfort in knowing that he had my best interest at heart and would make the necessary decisions if something were to go wrong.
 My experience at River Oaks was just as pleasurable as the first. The only difference is that half of our hearts was staying with his Grammy and Pop Pop. This has continued to be my struggle. My sweet Alan whom I have cared for wholeheartedly for nearly 22 months. How can I give him the love and attention that I need to while caring for my Anne Marie too?
A dear friend and experienced mother told me that I will learn to juggle. I just need to make sure I am 100% for myself so I have 100% to give to them.
Thanks for your prayers and support as my life just got a little crazier!
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_2
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_3
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_7
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_4
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_11
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_43
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_13
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_56
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_47
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_74
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_62
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_63
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_64
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_71
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_80
Anne_marie_ulrich_blog_edit_84

No comments:

Post a Comment